June 5, 2017
You are reading “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
Today, most of us have cell phones. We are able to make calls from almost anywhere, search the internet, check our Facebook pages, post pictures, use many different apps to get special deals on items we may want to purchase, play video games, word games and use our phones for many other uses.
However, in 1905, on the east side of Junction City, the farm telephone lines were just nearing completion in June. Manager Tom Dorn of the Wareham Dewey Exchange informed the “Junction City Daily Union” newspaper that he would be connecting the lines as soon as arrangements could be made and the materials could be laid out on the ground. (By the way, Thomas Dorn was also one of the early managers of the Opera House in Junction City). The connecting lines cost the Telephone Company about $75 to $100 per mile. The lines going to Alida connected with all those to the north and northeast and part of Dickinson County, which made it the longest connecting line in the area. The farmers and townspeople had to pay a toll of 15 cents per use. With the completion of the eastern lines, there would be few points in any area within 25 miles of Junction City that could not be reached by telephone.
Just think how far we have come since 1905 with the ability to call almost anywhere in the world from our house, business or even while traveling in our car. Simply amazing!!!