June 21, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
Today we are sharing information about the Steadman Building in downtown Junction City. The exact date of this building’s construction is unknown, but photographs show a single story frame building as late as 1905. A 1910 Junction City Souvenir brochure stated that Dr. C.E. Steadman and his son Dr. L.S. Steadman had well-appointed offices at 708 North Washington with Downing’s Pharmacy at the same address. In 1913, the building housed Kibbey’s Drug Store and in 1923 it became Costello’s. By 1925, Quality Drug was located at this site with the dental offices of Dr. Wade upstairs. In the 1940’s Claire’s Ready-to-Wear Dress Shop took over the location. The Dress Shop, which was run by Clair Dickman, had some famous clientele who frequented the shop. Among those were Lana Turner, Gene Tierney and Sally Rand, who were in the area at that time. In the 1990’s the First National Bank purchased the building. The current occupant is the Exchange Bank Trust and Financial Office.
The building has been remodeled, but when visiting the inside of the building, it is easy to imagine the displays of dresses and displays both on the main floor and along a balcony where some of the formal dresses were available for trying on and purchasing.