June 12, 2007
You are reading “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
Today’s story is about a new town, which was to be started between Ogden and Fort Riley. This is according to an article in the “Junction City Union” newspaper in June of 1917. It was reported the town would be called Kellyville, but it was later named Army City.
H.P. Powers of Junction City had earlier bought the old Dyche Farm east of the Fort Riley reservation boundary. This was a property consisting of over 3,000 acres with about 150 acres on either side of the Union Pacific right-of-way between the post and Ogden. Mr. Powers had no sooner purchased the place than the announcement was made that the new Fort Riley training area Camp Funston would be located on the Ogden Flats and he was asked by many to name a price for the property. The Carolina Land Company made a contract to handle all the building for Army City and an advertising campaign began announcing the public sale of lots. As a site for thousands of WWI soldiers stationed at Camp Funston in 1917 and 1918, this new boom town thrived. However, its lifespan lasted only five years. Following the end of WWI the Camp was closed and razed in 1922.