June 1, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
The annual report of the Ladies Reading Club for the period covering June 1882 to June 1883 held some interesting news of the club’s activities for that year. IT seems they had been meeting in Centennial Hall until it was sold in July of 1882. So, in early autumn the room in the City Hall, which was in the Opera House on Seventh and Jefferson Streets, was given to the club by the City County to use for their meetings and library room. In June of 1883 there were 500 volumes collected. In the spring of 1883, an effort was made by the Ladies Reading members to keep the library open to the public free of charge. However, the club decided against doing so.
The club membership had increased by 12 that year. The Secretary’s report concluded that she believed it was now universally felt that the Ladies Reading Club is in a prosperous and progressive condition. It continued to grow in not only membership, but also in the contributions made to our community just as it had in the beginning and is still doing today after more than 130 years.