April 28, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society
Today’s program is another look at an historic building in downtown Junction City. The information also comes from the free pamphlet titled “A Walking Tour”, which is available at our Museum at the corner of Sixth and Adams Street.
The building we will share about this morning is the Geary County Courthouse located at 138 East Eighth Street. The Roman Revival building was commissioned May 20, 1899 and completed in May of 1900 at a cost of $35,000. It was built by the firm of Ziegler and Dalton of magnesium limestone quarried in nearby bluffs. The stone was so soft it could be hand sawed by the German and Swedish masons of the area. The architect, J. C. Holland, had designed similar courthouses elsewhere in Kansas, including Manhattan and Clay Center. Extensive remodeling of the interior was completed in 1999. We have a picture on the first floor of our Museum as the Courthouse was being built. In the foreground you will see the loose stone and at the very top of the building a man working without safety protection from falling and no scaffolding.