April 27, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
Today’s information comes from a pamphlet we have at the Museum titled “A Walking Tour." This pamphlet has information about historic buildings in downtown Junction City. Stop by and pick up a free copy and take the tour using this helpful piece of information to make your walk more meaningful. Our Museum is located at the corner of Sixth and Adams Streets in Junction City and we are open every day except Mondays from 1 until 4:00 PM.
Now for a look at the Baskin/Clewell Drug Store.
The Baskin/Clewell Drug Store was located at 816 North Washington Street. This was the last of the “old-fashioned drug stores” in Junction City, which closed when Roy Clewell died in 1978. It was built in 1904 by pharmacies C.H. Baskin, who lived upstairs with his wife, Laura. Charles Clewell, a brother of Laura Baskin, acquired the business in 1917 and eventually his oldest son Roy Clewell, became the proprietor. The soda fountain had a 12 foot counter with onyx pillars and three oak-framed mirrors behind it. The contents were auctioned on February 11, 1970. Central National Bank remodeled the building which now houses an accounting firm.
Thanks for listening and remember to take a “Walking Tour” of downtown Junction City with a free pamphlet available at our Museum, which describes the buildings and some history about them.