April 20, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
This is the first of two programs about historic buildings in downtown Junction City. Today’s program is about the original First Baptist Church, which is located at 618 North Jefferson Street. The First Baptist Church was organized in Junction City on November 5, 1865. This building was dedicated January 27, 1867 and served as the Baptist Church until 1917 when the adjacent building was occupied. Since 1917 the building has served as the Durland-Sawtell Funeral Home, the Sawtell and the Mass-Hinitt Alexander Funeral Home. In 1998 the building became the home of the Iglesia Hispana Maranata Church. The stucco exterior conceals the original limestone blocks. The building is currently used by the Junction City Little Theater.
The current First Baptist Church at 624 North Jefferson Street was originally built in 1909 as a hall for the Modern Woodmen of America. This building was purchased, remodeled and dedicated on December 16, 1917 by the Baptist Church. Additions have been made to the south side of the building in 1949 and 1983. The interior and exterior have been remodeled numerous times. Services are still held every Sunday morning.
Take a drive past these buildings on North Jefferson, which are just south of the Opera House at the corners of Seventh and Jefferson Streets in Junction City.