May 12, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
During today’s program we will be sharing information about three more of the historic buildings in downtown Junction City. Again, this information may be found in a free pamphlet at our Museum titled “A Walking Tour” and can also be found on our blog, which is gearyhistory.blogspot.com.
The building at 120 to 122 West 7th Street was constructed in 1929 for Robert Behrend. It was used as a tire shop. Before him his grandfather, J.W. Behrend, had a harness shop, which was later run by his sons Henry and William. Today the building houses the Coryell Insurance Agency.
124 West Seventh Street, which currently houses the architectural firm of Deam and Deam, was originally built in 1889 for a dentist by the name of Charles K. Raber. The Parish brothers had a grocery store there in 1910 and some city offices were housed there in the 1910s and 20s.
The final building in today’s program is located at 126 West Seventh Street. This building and the building to the west were under construction when the 1887 Sanborn Fire Map was being printed. As of 1905 it housed a music store and grocery. In 1925, the Odd Fellows occupied the second floor. Later tenants were Farmers’ Union Exchange, An A&P grocery, Tony’s Restaurant and now houses the Knights of Columbus Hall.
Take a walk through downtown Junction City and reflect on the history of these buildings and see why we say: “Our Past IS Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.