February 27, 2017
This is “Our Past Is Present” from the Geary County Historical Society.
Today’s story is about the Women’s Relief Corps, which celebrated its 45 years of organization in Junction City on February 22, 1929. Only two of the charter members were still living in 1929. They were Mrs. Alphia Nicholson and Mrs. Elisa Bush.
Thirty other members joined them in the celebration. The organization, which was formed during the Civil War to aid Union soldiers and their families had worked quietly throughout the year, but in making a summary it was found that considerable patriotic and charitable accomplishments had been achieved. A silk flag with staff and stand had been presented to the Hardscrabble School District Number 29; sunflowers were made to sell at the National Convention; a contribution was made to the John Brown Monument fund and financial help was given to the Wichita Drum and Fife Corps. At Christmas time a contribution was made to the Mother’s Club to be used for the poor of the community. The Women’s Relief Corps had also established a scholarship fund of $150 for deserving high school girls or boys. On Memorial Day, flowers and small flags for the graves of all Civil War veterans and Relief Corps members were furnished. In 1928 this amounted to a little over 300 graves.
The report, which was shared with our listeners this morning was made during the annual Washington Day tea in 1929.